We know it has been some time since we last sent out any communication but time is getting close to the start of our season and it appears that we will be able to open for our normal May fishing season opener (We hope we are not jinxing this scenario by writing this).
As we are writing this letter, Northwest Ontario is getting pounded with a large snow storm and it looks like Spring is not going to be early this year. We are hoping that warmer weather comes soon so our May dates are not in jeopardy. We will obviously keep all of our early date guests informed if there are any changes in dates based on weather. The good news that might come from this weather is maybe our lake levels will go up and get back to normal.
The reason for this letter is to inform our guests about any issues, changes or just news in general, and how it relates to your trip to Stormer Lake Lodge in 2022. At this time, Ontario Canada has basically returned to normal for health policies for the general public and businesses. This means that stores, restaurants, etc. can run as normal such as capacity, no masks, no required social distancing, etc. However, there are some buildings that do require masks such as Hospitals, Elderly Care, etc. We don’t want to get into all the specific details for all businesses but Stormer should be able to operate as normal.
If you want to read more about specifics regarding COVID 19 restrictions and general information, go the following website: www.travel.gc.ca
In regards to more specific issues or policies as they relate directly to Stormer Lake Lodge, the following information should help.
1. Travel to Stormer: You must still be vaccinated to travel from the US into Canada. This means that you must have at least been vaccinated with the first double shots of Pfizer or Moderna or the single shot of J&J. At this time, you do not have to have the third or fourth booster. Any guest that is currently not vaccinated that is holding a reservation should call us to discuss options for the future.
2. You will need to download the ARRIVECAN App and fill out form completely. If you have traveled to Canada after Aug, 9, 2021 and have used the ARRIVECAN app, you might need to download the app again just to make sure you have the updated version. If you have any questions regarding the information on the app, just email or call us and we will help. We always hate to say it should be straightforward based on being a government issues app but hopefully you all do not have issues. You should fill out the ARRIVECAN app approx. 3-7 days prior to your travel across the boder.
3. There is not requirement for a pre-border crossing COVID test. This is obviously great news. However, you could still get selected, buy random, to do a covid test by the border agent when you arrive at the border. We are hoping this random selection of doing a covid test goes away prior to our fishing season starts but for now, it is in place. We will send out detailed instructions prior to our season starting on how to complete the testing protocol if you get selected. We believe there are better infrastructures in place to accommodate the taking of the tests and the delivery of the testing kit to the proper locations. Stay tuned for more information.
4. IF you are selected at random to perform a COVID 19 test from one of the border agents, and the test comes back Positive via email, you have the choice to stay at the lodge and quarantine, or travel back across the border to the US. We believe the quarantine time frame is still 14 days but will quantify this soon. We will be sending out a Stormer Lake Lodge “quarantine plan” to all of our guests prior to their trip to Stormer in case you are asked at the border by agents.
5. Live or dead bait is not allowed to enter Canada. This means nightcrawlers, salted minnows, dead minnows, etc. NOTHING. We are not quite sure about synthetic minnows such as the ones in vacuumed plastic from such stores as Fleet Farm or Sporting Goods shops but it is at the discretion of the border agent and they supposedly are being fairly tight about this policy.
In regards to bait, we will have all kinds of bait at the lodge for sale. We just acquired quite a few containers of frozen Silver Shiners that should take us through a good portion of the summer. There should be more in the pipeline once harvesters can trap more minnows this Spring. In regards to Nightcrawlers and Leeches, we also plan to have them at the lodge and at prices that are close to what you could buy them for at a store on your way up to the lodge. We have seen countless times where guests have purchased bait prior to arriving to the lodge only to use a portion of the amount and the rests spoils. Secondly, you will not have to hassle keeping bait in coolers and buying ice when you buy from us. We are not stating these facts to sound like we are trying to sell something at a premium. We are trying to make it easier for our guests at a fraction more in price. We hope this makes sense. All we ask is to email us prior to your arrival to the lodge to let us know what you would like for type and amount of bait.
6. As in the past, please purchase your fishing license prior to arriving to the lodge. We do not sell fishing licenses at the lodge. You can buy online from a link on our website homepage. Click on the Ontario icon near the bottom of our website homepage: www.stormerlakelodge.com
It goes without saying but we are going to say it anyway, “WE ARE SO LOOKING FORWARD TO HAVING ALL OF YOU BACK AT STORMER LAKE LODGE THIS SUMMER”.
It has been one long winding road to get to this point and there is no doubt, everyone has been affected in one way or another, but the small businesses and specifically, lodge owners in Northwest Ontario, have been behind the eight ball for 2 years. We all want life to be back to normal and we cannot wait to hear everyone’s story about all of the fish they will catch while at Stormer Lake Lodge. We all need the hum of excitement from our guests’ telling stories in the dining hall. We all need the excited buzz at the dock early in the morning when our guests are heading out for their day of yanking fish. We all need the sound of the outboards cranking it up at the dock in the morning. WE ALL NEED THAT FIRST TASTE OF FRESH CAUGHT WALLEYE OR PIKE AT SHORELUNCH!
Linda and I along with Kenny, Dawn, Mike and Rosey will be waiting for all of you to show up at Stormer with open arms.
There will be further information coming in the near future and we will email accordingly.
Please email or call with any questions you may have.
Dave & Linda Becker1-920-810-2491